|The lush, green field seen in the Freedom Ending|
|Location||After you press "Off" in the Mind Control Facility|
|Door Choice||Left Door|
|“||He had won! He had defeated the machine!||”|
The Freedom Ending is the ending that occurs when you do everything the Narrator tells you to do. The ending takes you to a green field (a city in the original mod) and frees Stanley from his job of pushing buttons and his boss.
Obtaining the endingEdit
Exit Stanley's Office. At the 2 doors, pick the one on the left. Once you get to the staircase, go up to the Boss's Office. Head straight to the Mind Control Facility, and go to the Facility Power Room. Once you get to the power source, push the "OFF" button.
Once you push the "OFF" button, the lights will turn off. After a while, a giant door will open in front of you, revealing the Greenfield (which seemed to be the outside of Stanley's office) and the catwalk you are standing on. When you walk through the door, Stanley will take control of himself and the Narrator will talk about the aftermath. The screen turns to white after the Narrator says that Stanley was happy. However, you will always respawn in Stanley's Office after that.
- The Greenfield in the beta Freedom Ending was different.
- This ending is believed to be the real ending, for a number of reasons:
- This is the only ending where Stanley does everything the Narrator says.
- The Achievement given for this ending is called Beat The Game.
- During some of the other endings, The Narrator will state that this is the game's intended ending.
- In the original HL2 mod, the credits roll and the game will end. The Narrator says in the HD Remake's demo that he also changed that.
- This is the only ending that you can get the Speedrun achievement.
- The fact that Stanley becomes free only after obeying the Narrator's every command is potentially a profound statement. On the other hand, the player actually loses their freedom.
- If you teleport into the field using commands, you can roam without triggering the cutscene.
Freedom Ending • Explosion Ending • Coward Ending • Mariella Ending • Museum Ending • Confusion Ending • Phone Ending • Not Stanley Ending • Powerful Ending • Games Ending • Zending • Cold Feet Ending • Escape Pod Ending • Out of Map Ending • Heaven Ending • Serious Ending • Art Ending • Whiteboard Ending • Broom Closet Ending