The Stanley Parable Demonstration is the demo for The Stanley Parable.
The Player enters a tester session for the Stanley Parable, when they enter the Green room, they are greeted by the Narrator, who will guide them through the demo. The Narrator decides to give the player a quick tour around the facilities on making a demo. The first feature the player will access will be the buttons of choice; no matter what button the player chooses, it will always say that they are a sexual predator, and the Narrator will call them a pervert. The player will then enter the facility room, where they will be able to view:
- Demo Status
- Emotion Booths
- Wall Technology
The player will then exit back to the green room. Before the demo starts, the Narrator addresses a number of safety concerns about playing the Stanley Parable, making the player perform a dance to notify him if they are suffering any of the side-effects. After this the Narrator will start the demo; unfortunately, something goes wrong, and the player ends up back in the Reception room.
After the player returns to the green room, the Narrator will make another attempt to start the demo, but this time activates the eight game. The Narrator will force the player out before they start forming impressions that the Stanley Parable is the eight game. The player will return to the start room and the Narrator will force them to apologise for their lack of respect for the demo.
After this, the Narrator will attempt a third time, but there is only a billboard sign that says "THE END". The Narrator decides that the demo cannot end like this as the player didn't see anything, and tries to find something for them to do. The Narrator will take the player to the storage room, and tell them to to put the cup in the bin. After the player does this, they will be awarded with an achievement, and taken to the final choice.
Unfortunately, Narrative Contradiction begins to occur in the facility room, so the Narrator will evacuate the player to the isolation chamber. In here, the Narrator will start to get depressed about how he failed and states that he doesn't care for the Stanley Parable any more. He then starts to reminisce about the great times he had with the player during the demo (even with some places that they don't have came before), before entering an elevator that takes the player to the Office, and then the demo ends.
Easter Eggs & SecretsEdit
- If the player types
facepunchduring gameplay all world textures will have the Facepunch logo superimposed on top of them, just like in the full version.
- If the player types
sv_cheats 1into the console while playing the demo, the console outputs "Why????".
- If the player enters the Green Room before their number is displayed, the Narrator will be humming.
- When the Narrator tells you to remain motionless, the dialogue will be different depending if the player moves or not.
- You can enter an area near boxes where there is nothing and the Narrator will talk about nothing
- There is a secret passage behind the two booths in the Emotion Booth demonstration room, where you can find a third one, which plays "Who Likes To Party" by Kevin MacLeod.
- You can walk to the boxes next to the Buttons & Choice room to learn more about boxes.
- There is a small crevice to the left of the compliment room, near the stairs and above the ramp of the isolation chamber where the Narrator comments on the contents of this area.
- If you go back into the Buttons & Choice room, the Narrator once again calls the player a pervert.
- If the player waits in the waiting room, the Narrator will comment on the fact that the player can just enter as no one is watching; if the player continues to wait after their number, the Narrator will suggest that there is something special about the player and this room and will feel touched.
- If the player continues to play the Eight game, the Narrator will get annoyed and will continently explain that this is not the Stanley Parable; after a while, he will decide to wait for the player to finish.
- If the player also waited in the waiting room, there will be extra dialogue.
- The big red button the player was supposed to press if they didn't want to continue later appears in the hallway after the player leaves the storage room where the they play "place the cup in the garbage bin".
- In the storage room where the player plays the "place the cup in the garbage bin" game, there are three different choices and the Narrator responds accordingly. No matter which one the player chooses, they will still win and be given an achievement:
- Putting the cup in the bin as instructed
- Getting the cup stuck on the raft
- Preventing the cup from entering the bin
- An image of Octodad can be seen on the roof before the player walks into the room with the isolation chamber later in the demo.
- When the Narrator is reminiscing, if the player had been to the room with the brick wall that could be walked through, they can actually go through it like the Narrator promised earlier in the game.
- The title placard behind the TV screens reads 'THE STANLEY PARABLE DEMONSTATION'. The typo is not intentional, but was left uncorrected intentionally.
- If the player tries to open a door that is shut, the Narrator will comment on it.
- Various rooms and objects that appear in the demo also appear in the main game.
- You can see The Line™ on the player's way to the isolation chamber after the choice.
- In the part where the player teleports to the Office, if the player noclips, it is shown that the office only goes up to the first corner.
- A special modified version of the Demonstration was made for the YouTube channel GameGrumps, which they played on Oct 10, 2013 as part of their "Steam Train" series. The playthrough can be viewed here. Although they never managed to play the full game.